New Life for an Old Deck

This was our last big project before the onset of Coronavirus. (And maybe the last big project until the threat of virus contagion is over…) We started it in mid-February and finished a few days before the lockdown began in mid-March.

Our new clients in Hayes Barton wanted a total renovation of their 30 year old deck, which was really showing its age. Beyond the usual rot situation, they wanted to get rid of an old, rarely-used hot tub on the second landing, to free up usable space. Most importantly, they wanted to create more space to accommodate future growth of a large Oak tree incorporated into (and growing through) a part of the deck.

Once the clients had the old hot tub sold and hauled off we had a follow-up meeting to go over the quote. The quote was approved so we set up the project start date and ordered a large delivery of treated lumber. (Good timing for the client; the cost of lumber has gone up considerably since the onset of Covid-19…)

Over the next few weeks Robert, a hired sub and I transformed the old deck into a totally new, improved space. The story is perhaps best conveyed through BEFORE and AFTER PICS.

We redesigned the top deck pergola and replaced all of the old decking, handrails and pickets with new treated lumber.

We redesigned and expanded the space for the double forked Oak tree:

We completely redesigned and rebuilt a new pergola with improved privacy screen of new lattice and staggered, “overlapping” vertical boards. We also replaced all of the decking, handrails and pickets. By enlarging the coverage area of the pergola we were able to create a new “seating nook” where the hot tub used to sit.

We slightly trimmed the width of the bottom staircase and replaced all of the old, rickety 4×4 posts with new, sturdy 6x6s, secured to the ground by TapConning the structure into an existing concrete slab (below the pavers) at the bottom of the steps.

One of the coolest things that we did was to move the upper staircase over by a half-foot, to expand the space for the tree. To do this we had to remove some of the “bones” of the structure and shore it up by bolting on several new 2x10s in key locations. Because of the new, sturdy boards underneath we were able to “cantilever” the deck. (It looks really cool from below, kinda’ like a boat sail!)

Also shored up was the main skirting board, with new 2x10s behind the exterior, secured with over a dozen 12” hex bolts.

Here’s a few pics of some of the finer details. (Hard to see but there’s at least 12” of space for the tree on one side and about 6” on the other.)

Except for the basic support structure below, the whole thing is entirely new! The clients were very happy with the work, saying the work “exceeded expectations.”

It was kind of a lengthy process (80 hours of work). Multiple, frequent “rain out” days delayed completion by at least a week. But, it turned out great. Happy clients; happy Old Raleigh Carpentry.